Monday 12 August 2013

Burnt Offerings

No, I didn't burn the dinner. This is the theme of the challenge over at Smudgy Antics for the next 2 weeks.
The blurb on the blog is more eloquent than I can manage so I'll just c&p it here.

You may interpret the challenge theme anyway you choose.  For those attempting to use actual flame of some sort please use common sense and have a basin of water nearby as well a fire-extinguisher.  We don't want any injuries or burnt down homes in the making of your burnt offering projects.

Examples of Burnt Offerings include, but are not limited to, the following:
Burn the edging of your cardstock or a portion of your project.
Use a soot stamping technique.
Use a wood burning tool in some fashion on your project.
Use your heat gun to scorch areas of your project. 

Also acceptable, especially for the accident prone folks, are the following:
Use a faux Burnt technique.
Add faux flames to your project.
I'm sure there are other things, but I'll let you folks decide what to do.

My project this week - well to put it mildly, was beset by catastrophe. To the point when I went to seal it, my can sprayed out in a single spluttering stream and ruined the images. Back to the drawing board and a quicky make. Something I was going to do anyway but not quite yet, to make the covers for my fatbook pages that were made last week during the week-long Smudgefest.
So here we have them.
The technique I used was "Soot-stamping" and I have done a tutorial for this in the Smeared & Smudged forum.
The stamps used are from the Smeared Ink Zombie Graveyard for the alphabet and the As Death sets.

The front

The DP is from Pink Paisley's Hocus Pocus collection. The letters were attached with and further coated with modpodge.

The back

The DP here is from the BoBunny weekend market collection. The frame has been sitting in my stash for a while and this seemed the ideal project to use it on.

We had a fabulous turnout last week with all the entries in the fussy cutting challenge, I hope this challenge will be the same. It's great looking at all the artwork out there in blogland. What are you waiting for? Get burning!


I'd like to enter this fat book cover into the challenge at
Challenges 4 Everybody - Anything Goes




3 comments:

  1. Ultra gorgeous project and I LUV that frame Cromsie :-) I might have a go at burning something !!!! :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab covers, Helen! Will have to check out your soot stamping technique. Bummer about your first attempt. don't you just HATE when that happens!? xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous covers you made, good that you got something done after the spluttering! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete